NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] JavaScript List?

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Fri Jul 19 09:44:35 EDT 2002

Hi Jim:

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 08:12:45AM -0400, Jim Hendricks wrote:

> Form validations present nicer to the user when done on the
> client, there's not that anoying flash caused by the server round trip, as
> well as the delay on a slow connection.

You still need to do validation on the server anyway, so now you're
maintaining two code bases.

Then, if the user has Java'sCrap turned off or not present, are they even
able to submit your form.  I've seen plenty of forms that won't.

> JavaScript is also useful on the
> client to update info in the client without making a full round trip to the
> server ( ie. hidden frame refresh with javascript to copy the data to where
> it needs to be ).  And then there's features like popup help

But they all fall flat on their face when JS is off/unavailable, making
your site unusable.

--Dan

--
               PHP classes that make web design easier
        SQL Solution  |   Layout Solution   |  Form Solution