NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] [OT] NoMachine NX Terminal Server

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Sun Dec 12 20:13:15 EST 2004

Hello all,

Although it's been around for a while, I ran across NoMachine's NX
Terminal Server since Knoppix has a free version (FreeNX) on both its
3.6 and just released 3.7 CD.

http://www.nomachine.com/

NoMachine has a set up where you can test drive NX, after you first
download a client.  I downloaded the NX Client for Windows.  The client
programs are free; NoMachine charges for the commercial version of the
NX server.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

The testdrive link from their homepage:
http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php

When you get it going, it opens a window with a full KDE desktop on your
[Windows] box.  The thing that impressed me is its speed.  I'm on a
dialup line that never runs faster than 26.4 Kbps and it was usable.

I've used Knoppix and a USB memory stick as a "backup system" to be able
to deliver courses in most any situation without regard to platform (and
school sysadmins).  As the NX Terminal Server looks like another, and
quite franky, better way to accomplish the same thing, I thought I'd
pass this info along.

enjoy,
John