NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] run my own mail server or use a 3rd party service?

Konstantin K kkrutoi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 19:29:26 EST 2009

Hey guys,

Another kinda off-topic question but could be relevant to some people here
and I know there are a bunch of really smart people on this list, so why
not?

My site will need to be able to email their users upon certain actions, like
most site:
- user registration (for account activation)
- change email address
- forgot password
- alerts

These emails are NOT FOR MARKETING PURPOSES.

IMPORTANT: All emails that need to be sent out will be stored in various
tables in a database from which they will be processed and subsequently
removed.

I think I have only two real options:

1. Run my own my mail servers, using procmail and swiftmailer php package.

2. Use a third-party service to mail my users.

I would prefer #2 since that would mean I wouldn't have to:
- run and manage another box.
- won't have to really worry about configuration/optimization of mail
server.
- won't have to worry about my emails landing in SPAM directory (or will I
still have that problem?)

My question is: what 3rd party services are out there that can do this?

Thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Konstantin